Thursday, January 24, 2008

As a 31 year old...

When I think of how long 10 years is, it doesn't seem that long away. However, I then think about what I was like as an 11 year old and how different I am as a 21 year old, and I realize how drastic my life has changed since then. My life is going to be completely different in 10 years, and I have no idea where I will be or what I will be doing. All I do know is...it is going to be big.

When I get out of college, I want to take a year off and live out west as a medic in a national park or do medical missions in a third world country. After that I would like to go to MUSC and get my Physicians' Assistant degree. Therefore, in 10 years I will hopefully be established in a PA job at a hospital saving up money to travel. I would like to have a husband, 2 or 3 children, and 2 dogs. I don't know if I want to stay in South Carolina, but wherever I live needs to be near the mountains. My ultimate goal is to live in other third world countries to help others. I have always had a passion for internationally making a difference. I just don't know what age I will be there and whether or not I will have a family before or after I go.

To be honest, I usually hate answering questions of where I will be in 10 years. I am a sole believer that what I am supposed to do in life will all fall into place at the right time. I have always been a "go with the flow" kind of person, so planning out my years and painting a picture of me as a 31 year old really contradicts who I am. Instead of concentrating on where I'll be and who I'll be with and what I'll be doing, I would rather concentrate on what I think is the most important thing in life, and that is who I am. I want to be someone who is confident and strong in my faith, someone who unconditionally loves others, and most of all, I want to be a person who makes a difference in others lives.

So when I am 31 years old, I picture myself looking back at the past 10 years and thinking, "I wouldn't change a thing."

No comments: