Thursday, February 14, 2008

Cover Letters

I like the advice given about cover letters in this tutorial because it is being given by a hiring manager. It shows what is going on in the minds of people on the other side of the job hunting process and makes the advice credible. Many of the points were interesting things that I didn't expect. The example cover letter, for instance, seemed very blunt and over-confident to me. I never know where the line is between being confident and being too pushy when going through this job hunting process. I did take the advice in however, and the only part I disagreed with is the handwritten P.S. suggestion. I feel as though a P.S. on a cover letter is unprofessional, and with it being handwritten, it seems like you are scrambling last minute to write down one more thing to make them like you because you don't feel like what you have already typed is suffice.

The part that was most useful to me in this tutorial was the bulleted list of what format to use and what things to include in each paragraph of your letter. I will definitely go back to that advice and use it when I begin to draft my cover letter. I wasn't aware that cover letters are looked at after the person reads the resume, so I will now work on making my resume and cover letter extremely effective, so that when my future employer gets to my cover letter, it will be just as impressive as the resume!

No comments: